Food, wonderful food. We crave it, we sacrifice for it, we wash with it, we love it and hate it.
Food evokes such emotion in us humans. As soon as we can’t have something, we suddenly need it more than we ever thought possible. And many times, that thing we crave is the food we really shouldn’t be indulging in. Eliminating these foods from our diet can seem like an impossible challenge. How do we change from bingeing on a bucket of ice cream to nibbling carrot sticks?
Well, it doesn’t have to be as drastic as that. Here a 5 easy ways to add changes to your diet today without going through withdrawal hell.
1. Don’t look at changing your diet all at once and don’t think of it as taking away the things you love. Look at it from the perspective of what can you add in. Add a pre-dinner salad with a light dressing. Don’t load on the high fat Ranch or Ceasar. A little olive oil and balsamic vinegar or garlic vinaigrette will do nicely. This serves to not only bring in some fresh veggies but it also takes up some room in your stomach so you don’t eat as much.
2. Add yummy green smoothies to your day. I try and replace one meal with a green smoothie. I will usually try and make it my breakfast. I think it’s easy on the stomach, nice and fresh and it seems like a good way to start the day. Mind you, today it was 30 below Celsius and today my body wanted something hot and filling. So I made the smoothie for lunch. Perfect. Some days work out and some don’t.
I hadn’t been a fan of green smoothies until the last few months. Now I love them. If you are already a fan of fruit smoothies, that’s great. It’s simply a matter of adding in a bit of baby kale, some cilantro or parsley, a couple pieces of celery or cucumber and you won’t believe how yummy it is.
3. I love stirfries. My wok is one of my favorite kitchen essentials. But many recipes call for sauteing in oil. I have found that using chicken broth or a bit of water works just as well for me. Once it’s all cooked up and I add the sauce, I then add in that yummy toasted sesame oil, just a few teaspoons, and it is just delish. And a wonderful bonus…..stir fries are loaded with yummy veggies, a little bit of meat and very little fat. Good for you and yummy, too.
4. Drink your water. Yes, this is something so easy that you can add into your daily diet that will make a difference throughout your body.
Did you know that our body is made up of at least 65% water? And did you know that roughly 95% of people are chronically dehydrated? That’s bad. Your body needs to be properly hydrated to have all systems functioning properly. You need at least 8 8oz glasses of water per day. And one lovely little “diet” trick is to drink one or two glasses of water before you eat. You won’t be nearly as hungry, you will have given a nice boost to your digestive system and your skin, brain, joints, organs and various other body parts, will thank you.
5. When you look at the number of diets that are out there for you to choose from and how each one will give you any number of foods that are bad for you, is it any wonder that you are so confused? I am, too.
So my plan has been to:
a) decrease the amount of gluten in my diet (although I do enjoy a slice of garlic bread or a plate of homemade pasta once in a while). Gluten really is somewhat damaging to the lining of the intestine and can cause microscopic cuts that allow larger pieces of food to be released into our system where they should not be. This is called Leaky Gut and although the pieces of food are still incredibly tiny, they can still cause damage.
b) eat lean meat. I have never been a big fatty meat eater anyway, but I am now a bit more conscious of it now. And it hasn’t really changed the way I eat. To me, the meat tastes better and, in some of my recipes, the fattier meats just wreck the recipe.
c) add more organic foods into my diet and increase the amount of fresh fruits and veggies. I do love a huge salad made up of different greens, purple cabbage, red pepper, carrot, cauliflower, broccoli and drizzled with my favorite balsamic; a Raspberry Chipotle Reduction. Oh my!!! ( Yes, I love George Takei’s facebook page. ) Easy Peasy!!
Simple things you can add to your diet can make a world of difference to your health and enjoyment of life.